.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;} <$BlogRSDURL$>

The Donnybrook
Monday, January 12, 2004
 
Destiny Gets Lost On the Schuylkill Expressway

Philadelphia Eagles 20, Green Bay Packers 17

This game was certainly set up as a Good vs. Evil contest, with the Fox NFL Sunday crew openly pining for a Packers victory.

Terry Bradshaw even went so far as to say God himself was guiding Brett Favre's passes this offseason. Now, I'm no clergyman, but I have to believe God has better things to do on a Sunday, even if that is His day off. Then again, football is pretty cool.

I don't begrudge Brett Favre for all the "Team of Destiny" talk. If I lost my father, that would've ended my season. Period. I agree it was inspiring to see Favre pull his team together the way he did.

What I find unfortunate is that my team got painted as the bad guys in this "ride to destiny".

Look at the facts. Here are two teams that:

1. Started the season WELL below expectations.

2. Had their QB dinged up for most of the season.

3. Had said QB endure external pressures that made their job extremely difficult (no, I'm not saying the McNabb-Limbaugh debacle comes close to comparing with the loss of Brett Favre's father, I'm just setting up a frame of reference)

4. Pulled their act together in the last 11 weeks of the season in order to get back into the playoffs...

Still, there I was yesterday hearing the same old lines about "rabid" and "unruly" Eagles fans...

Maybe Destiny has a new darling. The Eagles? The Panthers? Who knows...

I hope Brett Favre does not retire any time soon. He is an absolute pleasure to watch and a sportsman of the highest caliber. I hope he has a peaceful postseason...




|

Powered by Blogger