.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;} <$BlogRSDURL$>

The Donnybrook
Wednesday, September 22, 2004
 
A Trip Down Memory Lane With Jesse Helms

The internet is a fascinating thing. While doing a quick search for quote of Jesse Helms tacitly threatening the life of former President Bill Clinton, I came a across the site of citizen who took the time to compile some of 'ol Jesse's greatest hits.

Here are some of my favorites:

"Bill Clinton better watch out if he comes down here [to North Carolina]. He'd better have a bodyguard."

"I've been portrayed as a caveman by some. That's not true. I'm a conservative progressive, and that means I think all men are equal, be they slants, beaners or niggers."

"...in the l8 years and 5 months I've been in the senate, none, none have been more capable than Dan Quayle."

"To rob the Negro of his reputation of thinking through a problem in his own fashion is about the same as trying to pretend that he doesn't have a natural instinct for rhythm and for singing and dancing."

"If homosexuals would only stop doing what they're doing, There wouldn't be any more AIDS."

And finally, in a tip of his cap to my conservative UNC grad buddies, Jesse once referred to their alma mater as the "University of Negroes and Communists".

UPDATE: Since one of my readers thinks Jesse never actually said these things, I'm on the hunt for more dirt on Jesse. This site has a few more quotes from the "conscience of the Republican party" (Trent Lott's words, not mine) you might enjoy...

Here's a great piece from FAIR that outlines Jesse's super-cool worldview...With sources...

And one more classic from 'ol Jesse for good measure:

Soon after the Senate vote on the Confederate flag insignia, Sen. Jesse Helms (R.-N.C.) ran into Mosely-Braun in a Capitol elevator. Helms turned to his friend, Sen. Orrin Hatch (R.-Utah), and said, "Watch me make her cry. I'm going to make her cry. I'm going to sing 'Dixie' until she cries." He then proceeded to sing the song about the good life during slavery to Mosely-Braun (Gannett News Service, 9/2/93; Time, 8/16/93).



|

Powered by Blogger