.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;} <$BlogRSDURL$>

The Donnybrook
Thursday, November 11, 2004
 
Honor The Brave On Veterans Day...

My uncle Jim (I called him "Unc") was one of the most influential people in my life. Although he wasn't my actual uncle, he was a great friend of our family and actually lived with us for most of his life.

He was the best friend a kid could ever have. A true old-school tough guy with great character and an even greater heart. A die-hard Democrat from South Philly, he more than anyone, helped to form my political beliefs and views on the world we live in. He always felt for the little guy and urged me to do the same.

In World War II, he served in the Phillipines and earned two Purple Hearts and the Bronze Star. He was a true hero before my parents were even born. He was my hero the day he passed away two years ago. He's still my hero today and always will be.

When I visited Washington, DC two weeks ago, I had the opportunity to see the brand new World War II Memorial. It is awe-inspiring, to say the least.

When I got there, as luck would have it, someone had placed two small American flags on either side of the "Philippines Sea" part of the Pacific front memorial.

I guess he must've known I'd be there that day.

Thanks, Unc...



|

Powered by Blogger