.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;} <$BlogRSDURL$>

The Donnybrook
Friday, July 8, 2005
 
What Comedians Really Make You Laugh?

Stand-up comedy has been endlessly fascinating to me ever since I was a kid. I dig the job, the lifestyle, the whole scene.

Through the years, I've always had a bunch of comedy CD's in my collection. I remember first being fascinated by guys like Andrew "Dice" Clay (he actually had some funny bits), and Dennis Miller (in his pre-hack days) when I was in high school.

Back in college, I discovered the late, great Bill Hicks along with the immortal George Carlin. Perfect timing, I know. Genuinely funny guys with worthwhile things to say.

Nowadays, I love Dave Attell, Lewis Black, Chris Rock (trite, I know), and just about anyone who talks about topics that make people uncomfortable. Jim Gaffigan is hilarious as well. If you've got a strong stomach and you don't offend easily, check out Jim Norton (you've been warned).

I got off on this tangent because Kathleen Madigan is at Charlie Goodnight's this weekend. She's a really funny lady, which is strange to me since I normally only like comics that "work blue".

Who do you guys like?

UPDATE: I believe I deserve a Biblical ass-kicking for neglecting to mention Steven Wright and Denis Leary. I also dig the work that Leary does with firefighters. Great stuff...



|

Powered by Blogger