.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;} <$BlogRSDURL$>

The Donnybrook
Thursday, July 28, 2005
 
What Happened To Rep. Charles Taylor's CAFTA Vote?

It seemed odd to me when I got in this morning and saw that Rep. Charles Taylor (R-NC) had apparently not voted on CAFTA, despite having come out pretty hard against the bill.

I didn't think too much of it since CAFTA passed by 2 votes, not one.

But now it's coming out that Taylor did, in fact, vote "NO" on CAFTA, but his vote was not recorded by the Clerk of the House.

Say it with me now: HOW THE FUCK DOES THAT HAPPEN???

In a vote this close, where the GOP toughguys were breaking balls (more than usual) to satisfy Dubya's whims, how does a vote get lost???

Here's Taylor's statement from his website:
“I voted NO on the Dominican Republic-Central America Free Trade Agreement (DR-CAFTA) in the vote last night. I informed the Majority Leader and the Appropriations Chairman I was voting no, as I had informed my constituents I was voting no. Rep. Howard Coble and I voted “no” together. Due to an error, my "no” vote did not record on the voting machine. The Clerk’s computer logs verified that I had attempted to vote, but it did not show my “nay” vote. I am re-inserting my “No” vote in the record. But even with my NO vote re-inserted, the bill still passed.”

Josh Marshall at TalkingPointsMemo is keeping up to date on this bizarre turn of events.

Something stinks...



|

Powered by Blogger