.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;} <$BlogRSDURL$>

The Donnybrook
Friday, September 30, 2005
 
Sen. Barack Obama Explains His "No" Vote On John Roberts...

...and does so in a way that only one of the most eloquent voices on Capitol Hill can do...

Sen. Obama reminds Democrats once again that ideological purity tests on their elected Democratic representatives can, at times, be counter-productive. Obviously, this is point that I lose sight of from time to time (my heart's in the right place!), but it doesn't make the point any less valid.

One of the reasons I fully throw my support behind an anti-choice candidate like Bob Casey, Jr. of Pennsylvania is that in spite of a few differences I see on the issues, I know that he is a good Democrat, and there's just too few of those in Washington.

This is also the reason that 9 times out of 10, I think Ben Nelson (D-NE) is a better representation of the Democratic party than Joe Lieberman (D-CT). While Nelson is a very conservative Democrat, Lieberman lines right up with my beliefs on most issues.

Why then, do I prefer Nelson? Because he never resorts to trashing his fellow Democrats in order to curry favor with Republicans as Lieberman does fairly frequently.

The driving notion here is that whatever disagreements Democrats have amongst each other are almost always certain to pale in comparison to the agreements we have.

Be sure to read all of Sen. Obama's diary. It's truly an eye-opening read...



|

Powered by Blogger