.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;} <$BlogRSDURL$>

The Donnybrook
Wednesday, November 23, 2005
 
Now I Know Why You Conservatives Have Been So Miserable Lately...

...and I think it has a lot to do with the graphic to the right.

I know the desperation of feeling like your opinions are dismissed as being "outside the mainstream" by a vast majority of the people in this country.

I felt that feeling when I was making the case that going to war in Iraq just wasn't necessary. Most of my fellow countrymen disagreed. I still have that feeling when it comes to the issue of gay marriage, and probably will for quite some time.

It's a bad feeling. When you believe strongly about something, but no one seems to care.

I can commiserate, but I think you've been acting out recently because you now see that the national tide has turned against the "philosophy" that you hold so dear. When that map was strongly red back in 2002 and only slightly less so in 2004, you guys felt like you were on top of the world.

"We backed a winner!!!" was the sentiment of the day, and you wanted anyone who dared not kiss the GOP ring to know about it.

Unfortunately for you, the public is waking up to the fact that they were sold a bill of goods, and in spite of the reality you're confronted with, you don't want to give up that high.

Having 65% of your fellow Americans thinking you're out of touch is quite an uncomfortable feeling, isn't it?

I think that's why dust-ups like this have been happening more frequently as of late. It's gotta be tough to look at that map and see a grand total of seven "red" states remaining.

The good ol' days have clearly come and gone for the Republican party and it's hangers-on...

P.S. Before you start jumping up and down screaming "Bush isn't running for anything!", allow me to remind you that the Republican-controlled Congress regularly scores worse than Bush in public opinion polls, and those folks are running for something very soon...

UPDATE: Regarding the "Democrats in Congress are also unpopular" argument, I must say that this is true. However, if you take a look at any 2006 generic Congressional polling, you'll see that Democratic candidates are beating Republican candidates in every poll taken...



|

Powered by Blogger