.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;} <$BlogRSDURL$>

The Donnybrook
Tuesday, December 27, 2005
 
A New Perspective On What I Do Here...
"I have seen war. I have seen war on land and sea. I have seen blood running from the wounded. I have seen the dead in the mud. I have seen cities destroyed. I have seen children starving. I have seen the agony of mothers and wives. I hate war."
--Franklin Delano Roosevelt, August 14, 1936
Above is a quote that I hadn't heard before I visited the FDR Memorial in Washington, DC a few years ago. If you haven't seen it, I highly recommend checking it out the next time you visit the area. It's an amazing tribute to an amazing man.

That quote crystallizes my own feelings about war. I know I've never fought in one, but then again, neither did FDR.

In addition, I understand war is a harsh reality, and is sometimes necessary. Contrast FDR's quote with the fact that he successfully led this nation to victory in World War II. He hated war, but knew when it was necessary.

In a perfect world, there would be no war, but (to spout the oldest cliché in the book) we don't live in a perfect world.

A meeting I had with an old friend over the holiday got me thinking about the realities of war.

My friend is a Marine who has served all over the world, including Iraq and Afghanistan. He's served in both a military and private capacity over there.

Talking to him also got me thinking about the idea of "supporting the troops". My concern is that all too often those words are just that: words.

I believe "supporting the troops" means holding their civilian leaders accountable for questionable decisions. On this, and several other blogs, I've been labeled everything from a communist to terrorist sympathizer, for doing just that.

In light of the comments coming from the right side of the political spectrum back in 1999, these accusations ring particularly hollow.

If soldiers and Marines aren’t getting the equipment they need to finish the job, I’ll talk about it. If they’re in a war without a clear exit strategy, I think it’s my duty to find out why. Not because I’m trying to make trouble, but because once Americans stop holding their leaders accountable, those same soldiers and Marines (and the rest of us) will be in even greater peril.

The sacrifices that others like my friend make are sacrifices that I, quite frankly, don't have the balls to make on my own. I recognize this, and it's for this reason that I have a great appreciation for what they do on my behalf.

Occasionally, people on both sides of the political spectrum lose sight of that level of dedication.

I honestly hope I never do.

I opposed the Iraq War from the beginning because it was (and I think, still is) a misguided detour from the real enemy.The sad reality of the Iraq war, as I see it now, is that you can only reach so many "turning points" before you're walking in circles.

My only hope is that enough of those in power will come to the realization that their actions have consequences, especially in matters of war.

That sounds simplistic, but I really wonder how many of our elected officials considered the possibility of over 2,100 troops and many contractors being lost in this war.

Not enough of them, I’m guessing.

I'm glad that meeting an old friend could give me a brand new perspective on a situation that we all spend so much time thinking about.

Thanks, Pat...



|

Powered by Blogger