.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;} <$BlogRSDURL$>

The Donnybrook
Sunday, March 12, 2006
 
Tournament Picks and Other Ramblings

A few thoughts from over the weekend...

1. Damn, picking winners in the NCAA Tournament gets harder and harder. I'm going with a Final 4 of UConn, Duke, Ohio State and UCLA...but I'm not feeling really good about it. I've got UConn beating Duke in the final 73-70. This really is a crapshoot, though. I hope Nova wins it but one bad shooting night dooms such a guard-oriented team...although that could doom any team. I think if Nova gets past Wisconsin in the second round it has a good chance to get to the final 4. That being said I'm picking Boston College to beat them in the Sweet 16. I am not high on Memphis and don't think they deserved a one seed. My upset special for the first round is San Diego St. over Indiana. That is a better team than people know and Indiana does not impress me. My sentimental favorite as always is Murray St. since I insist on telling everybody that the school is named after my favorite baseball player Eddie Murray.

2. Now that Edge is in Arizona, Peyton Manning will be exposed yet again for the fraud that he is. The one year Manning didn't have James by his side the Colts went 5-11 and Manning threw about 28 interceptions. They were 4-2 when James got hurt and without the real MVP of that team by his side Peyton showed his true colors and tanked it. That sound you here is the Colts window of opportunity closing.

3. My beloved 49ERS once again piss me off. The Niners had one bright spot on offense last year and that was the play of Brandon Lloyd. So they go and trade him to the Redskins for a third-round pick this year and fourth next year. Good job guys. Lloyd is not a great receiver but he's a good one and he can put up good numbers if he has a good quarterback throwing to him. He also makes some amazing catches. He had a few 100-yard games last year which considering how putrid the Niners offense was is amazing. He's a great No. 2 and that's what he could be in Washington. Now they've got Moss, Lloyd and Randle El and that's a damn fine core of receivers. Great move Niners. I'm all for getting more picks this year but all we get this year is a third-rounder. It's going to be another long season. Repeat after me...John York is the anti-christ.

4. The Redskins probably overpaid Randle El. I haven't seen the contract details so I could be wrong but knowing Snyder they probably gave this guy a ton of money. Randle El is a good receiver but he's not a No. 1 and I'd be surprised if he ever has a 1,000-yard season. I think he's a middle of the road receiver who is cashing in on one big play in the Super Bowl...where he didn't catch the ball but threw it. But Snyder comes from the Al Davis stupidity mode. Remember Davis shelling out all that money to Larry Brown after he made two interceptions of Neil O'Donnell passes that a blind dog could have caught? Hard to believe the Raiders are in disarray with moves like that.

5. I cover high school basketball and one of my favorite lines I hear from fans is "call it both ways." I usually look up at the scoreboard and see that the foul calls are tied in those situations. It's one of those things that strikes me as humorous.




|

Powered by Blogger