.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;} <$BlogRSDURL$>

The Donnybrook
Monday, June 12, 2006
 
Fuck Georgia And Its Puritanical Blue Laws...

Apparently, the Peach State has a law in place preventing its citizens from purchasing alcohol at any time on Sundays.

That is, unless they want to go to a bar and get tanked up. Then it's a-ok to drink on Sundays.

On our way home from Savannah (good, not great) yesterday, we stopped by the Fresh Market to hopefully find a Sweetwater Brewing Company beer that isn't available in North Carolina.

After locating my beer and walking around the store for a while, a gentleman tapped me on the shoulder and asked me "Are you planning on buying that today?".

Uh oh.

He went on to inform me of Georgia's aforementioned blue law.

In a cruel twist of fate, the beer I wanted to purchase was Sweetwater's "Blue".

The irony makes me want to spit in someone's face.

What fucking purpose do these antequated hold-overs from the temperance movement serve, anyway?

It's not just a Georgia problem, either. Just about every state I've spent time in has some degree of this holier-than-thou Christian nonsense on its books.

Exactly what concern is it of ANY government whether I purchase a product on a Sunday if that same product is available all other six days of the week?

Fuck you, Georgia...



|

Powered by Blogger