.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;} <$BlogRSDURL$>

The Donnybrook
Thursday, July 27, 2006
 
What Was Your Favorite Baseball Card?

You don't hear much about baseball cards anymore. A great series on ESPN.com's Page 2 got me thinking about them.

It seems like kids today (GEEZER ALERT!!! GEEZER ALERT!!!) are more interested in which new video games are coming out rather than when new sets of baseball cards are released.

When I was a kid, they were a religion.

I remember every Christmas for about 10 years, I would get the full Topps set of baseball cards for that year. I'd go through the set and painstakingly separate out all the Phillies players, which isn't terribly exciting when you're talking about the 1988 Phillies and you're desperately seeking Steve Jeltz and Bruce Ruffin. Yuck.

Still, what a great hobby that was. Even today, my cards are all neatly sealed in my grandmother's basement accruing in value. Nice.

I think the best card I had was the Paul Molitor/Alan Trammel rookie card from 1978.

I'm not sure if I still have it, but I do remember it being the most expensive card in my collection...



|

Powered by Blogger