.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;} <$BlogRSDURL$>

The Donnybrook
Wednesday, September 13, 2006
 
What's Your Favorite Underappreciated Sports Achievement?

Don't tell me you loved it when McGwire hit #62, or when Cal Ripken broke Lou Gehrig's record.

Everybody knows that shit.

Go deep for me. Tell me about that oddball achievement that nobody talks about, but is mindboggling, nonetheless.

I'm going with Steve Carlton's 1972 season for the Phillies.

Look at these numbers from Lefty's '72 campaign:

Wins 27
Losses 10
Complete games 30
Strikeouts 310
Walks 87
Innings pitched 346.1
ERA 1.97

Impressive, right? Now consider the weirdest part: The Phillies won 59 games that season. Lefty accounted for 46% of his team's wins.

Get weirder/more impressive than that. I dare you...



|

Powered by Blogger