.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;} <$BlogRSDURL$>

The Donnybrook
Thursday, February 15, 2007
 
Tim Hardaway Auditions For Focus On The Family...

Ladies and gentlemen, your next conservative hero-in-training. Are you listening, Dr. Dobson?

Former Miami Heat guard Tim Hardaway said on a radio show Wednesday afternoon that he would not want a gay player on his team.

"You know, I hate gay people, so I let it be known," Hardaway said. "I don't like gay people and I don't like to be around gay people. I am homophobic. I don't like it. It shouldn't be in the world or in the United States."


Hardaway was a guest of Miami Herald columnist Dan Le Batard on the Miami radio show Sports Talk 790 and was asked how he would deal with a gay teammate. When asked if he would accept an active player's coming out, such as that of retired NBA center John Amaechi, Hardaway replied: "First of all, I wouldn't want him on my team."

"And second of all, if he was on my team, I would, you know, really distance myself from him because, uh, I don't think that's right. And you know I don't think he should be in the locker room while we're in the locker room. I wouldn't even be a part of that," he said.
He even managed to work in the old "gay men want to have sex with every man they see" stereotype that Jeremy Shockey subscribes to.

I'm guessing you'll be seeing a lot of right-wing noisemakers coming to this bigot's defense over the next few days.

Just a hunch...

UPDATE: Hardaway has issued a classic non-apology apology...
"Yes, I regret it. I'm sorry. I shouldn't have said I hate gay people or anything like that," he said. "That was my mistake."
He's not sorry for being an anti-gay bigot. He's just sorry he told everyone he's an anti-gay bigot. Make sense?



|

Powered by Blogger