.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;} <$BlogRSDURL$>

The Donnybrook
Wednesday, May 7, 2008
 
My take on one of the best concerts I've ever attended...

What an incredible show!!!

The cynic in me was fully prepared to leave Monday night's Van Halen concert with two primary complaints: 1.) Wolfgang Van Halen is just a kid who wasn't up to the challenge, and 2.) David Lee Roth was a showboating has-been with a horrible voice.

I was wrong on both counts. Wolfie did exactly what was expected of him (I'm not sure what show you were watching, Murali) and then some, and DLR, while certainly a bit of a ham on stage, did an awesome job vocally and made it feel like a bona fide ROCK SHOW.

Eddie was on his game in a way I've never seen in the four other VH concerts I've attended over the years. He checked his personal demons at the door and showed me why his playing was my initial inspiration to pick up a guitar in the first place.

Never was this more evident than when he started the intro to "Mean Street". He was on fire the whole friggin' night!

With a set list like this...

You Really Got Me
I'm the One
Runnin' With the Devil
Romeo Delight
Somebody Get Me a Doctor
Beautiful Girls
Dance the Night Away
Atomic Punk
Everybody Wants Some!!
So This Is Love?
Mean Street
(Oh) Pretty Woman
Unchained
I'll Wait
And the Cradle Will Rock
Hot for Teacher
Little Dreamer
Jamie's Cryin'
Ice Cream Man
Panama
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
Jump

...the band could've come out and done the typical reunion gig and coasted through the show and still come off well. Instead, they came out and played with an intensity that I doubt that had even in the early 80's.

It really was that good...



|

Powered by Blogger