.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;} <$BlogRSDURL$>

The Donnybrook
Wednesday, January 25, 2006
 
Why The Casey-Rendell Endorsement Of Alito Doesn't Bother Me...

My conservative readers take great pleasure in playing "Gotcha!" with me when a Democratic politician I support does something they believe will bother me. It's a stupid game, but one that some readers can't get past.

Case in point: My boys Bob Casey, Jr. and Gov. Ed Rendell come out in support of Samuel Alito's nomination to the Supreme Court and apparently I'm supposed to feel some deep-dwelling liberal rage.

Are you serious? Do you know how fucking stupid that sounds?

The beauty of the Democratic party is that it is still a "big-tent" party. There are conservative Democrats that I disagree with quite often. That doesn't make them bad people or unsupportable in my eyes. Far from it.

I wrote a piece a few months ago in which I voiced my support of conservative Democrats (like Sen. Ben Nelson) and my disdain for Fox News Democrats (like Sen. Joe Lieberman). The difference being that conservative Democrats don't believe in a lot of the things I believe in, while Fox News Democrats take great pride in trashing other Democrats for not believing what they believe.

Big difference.

I'm not about to condemn a politician that I believe in just because he took a position I don't like. A big part of the reason Bob Casey, Jr. is an appealing politician to me is because he seems to fight for what he believes in. Sometimes I'll agree with him, sometimes I won't. That's life in a two-party system.

So keep on playing the game, boys. Keep citing DailyKos, Atrios, DU, etc. as the supposed source of my beliefs while cutting and pasting someone's else's words to express yours. Keep thinking you can instinctively assume how I feel about anything of significance.

You can't, and you look stupid for trying...



|

Powered by Blogger